Coherent Conditional Probability as a Measure of Uncertainty of the Relevant Conditioning Events
In previous papers, by resorting to the most effective concept of conditional probability, we have been able not only to define fuzzy subsets, but also to introduce in a very natural way the basic continuous T-norms and the relevant dual T-conorms, bound to the former by coherence. Moreover, we have given, as an interesting and fundamental by-product of our approach, a natural interpretation of possibility functions, both from a semantic and a syntactic point of view.
In this paper we study the properties of a coherent conditional probability looked on as a general non-additive uncertainty measure of the conditioning events, and we prove that this measure is a capacity if and only if it is a possibility.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bouchon-Meunier, B., Coletti, G., Marsala, C.: Conditional Possibility and Necessity. In: Bouchon-Meunier, B., Gutiérrez-Rios, J., Magdalena, L., Yager, R.R. (eds.) Technologies for Constructing Intelligent Systems, vol. 2, pp. 59–71. Springer, Berlin (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Coletti, G., Scozzafava, R.: Zero probabilities in stochastic independence. In: Bouchon-Meunier, B., Yager, R.R., Zadeh, L.A. (eds.) Information, Uncertainty, Fusion, pp. 185–196. Kluwer, Dordrecht (2000) (Selected papers from IPMU 1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Coletti, G., Scozzafava, R.: Conditional Subjective Probability and Fuzzy Theory. In: Proc. of 18th NAFIPS International Conference, pp. 77–80. IEEE, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Coletti, G., Scozzafava, R.: Conditioning and Inference in Intelligent Systems. Soft Computing 3, 118–130 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Coletti, G., Scozzafava, R.: Fuzzy sets as conditional probabilities: which meaningful operations can be defined? In: Proc. of 20th NAFIPS International Conference, pp. 1892–1895. IEEE, Vancouver (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Coletti, G., Scozzafava, R.: Probabilistic logic in a coherent setting. Trends in Logic, (15) (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Coletti, G., Scozzafava, R.: Conditional probability, fuzzy sets and possibility: a unifying view. Fuzzy Sets and Systems (2003) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 11.Coletti, G., Scozzafava, R., Vantaggi, B.: Coherent Conditional Probability as a Tool for Default Reasoning. In: Proc. IPMU 2002, Annecy, France, pp. 1663–1670 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.de Finetti, B.: Sull’impostazione assiomatica del calcolo delle probabilità. Annali Univ. Trieste 19, 3–55 (1949) (Engl. transl.: Probability, Induction, Statistics, ch. 5. Wiley, London, 1972) Google Scholar