Large eddy simulation of flow around the Ahmed body
The automotive industry has a high demand for reliable simulation methods capable of tackling the complex turbulent air flow around vehicles. The Ahmed reference model is a generic car-type bluff body with a slant back. It is frequently used as a benchmark test case for this kind of flow. In spite of the relatively simple geometry of the Ahmed body, the flow around it retains some main features of the flow around real cars.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S.R. Ahmed, G. Ramm, and G. Faltin. Some salient features of the time averaged ground vehicle wake. SAE paper no. 840300, 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.H. Lienhart, C. Stoots, and S. Becker. Flow and turbulence structures in the wake of a simplified car model (Ahmed model). In DGLR Fach Symp. der AG STAB, 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Gilliéron and F. Chometon. Modelling of stationary three-dimensional separated air flows around an Ahmed reference model. In ESAIM proc., volume 7, pages 173–182, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Jakirlic, R. Jester-Zürker, and C. Tropea, editors. Proceedings of 9th ERCOFTAC IAHR COST Workshop on refined turbulence modelling, 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Manceau and J.P. Bonnet, editors. Proceedings of 10th ERCOFTAC IAHR QNET-CFD Workshop on refined turbulence modelling, 2002.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Kapadia, S. Roy, and K. Wurtzler. Detached eddy simulation over a reference Ahmed car model. AIAA paper no. 2003–0857, 2003.Google Scholar
- 8.R.J.A. Howard and M. Pourquie. Large eddy simulation of an Ahmed reference model. Journal of Turbulence, 3, 2002.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Werner and H. Wengle. Large-eddy simulation of turbulent flow over and around a cube in a plate channel. In 8th Symp. on Turb. Shear Flows, 1993.Google Scholar