Mapping UMTS Bearers to DiffServ PHBs
In this paper we address how the 3GPP-defined end-to-end QoS bearer services (conversational, streaming, interactive and background) for UMTS can be mapped to the IETF-defined Differentiated Services (Diff-Serv) per hop behaviours (Expedited Forwarding (EF), Assured Forwarding (AF) and Best Effort (BE)). Such a mapping must be complemented with the appropriate DiffServ configurations of the routers. We have investigated how this can be done by building a laboratory network and using it as a testbed for our measurements. We present the results from our measurements in the test-bed. We also present some conclusions from these tests. Finally we give some general guidelines, based on our experiences, how to choose a good mapping.
KeywordsAverage Response Time Best Effort Stream Traffic Bottleneck Link Background Traffic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.3rd Generation Partnership Project, Technical Specification Group Services and System Aspects, QoS Concept and Architecture (Release 4), Technical Specification 23.107 (June 2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Shenker, S., Partridge, C., Guerin, R.: Specification of Guaranteed Quality of Service. IETF RFC 2212 (September 1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Wroclawski, J.: Specification of the Controlled-Load Network Element Service. IETF RFC 2211 (September 1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Nichols, K., Blake, S., Baker, F., Black, D.: Definition of the Differentiated Services Field (DS Field) in the IPv4 and IPv6 headers. IETF RFC 2474 (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Blake, S., Black, D., Carlson, M., Davies, E., Wang, Z., Weiss, W.: An architecture for Dif-ferentiated Services. IETF RFC 2475 (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Heinanen, J., Baker, F., Weiss, W., Wroclawski, J.: Assured Forwarding PHB group. IETF RFC 2597 (June 1999) Google Scholar
- 7.Davie, B., Chrny, A., Bennet, J.C.R., Benson, K., LeBoudec, J.Y., Courtney, W., Davari, S., Firoiu, V., Stiliadis, D.: An Expedited Forwarding PHB (Per-Hop Behaviour), IETF RFC 3246 (March 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Maniatis, S., Nikolouzou, E., Venieris, I.S., Dimopoulos, E.: DiffServ-based Traffic Handling Mechanisms for the UMTS Core Network. IST Mobile & Wireless Telecommunications Summit (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Maniatis, S.I., Nikolouzou, E.G., Venieris, I.S.: QoS Issues in the Converged 3G Wireless and Wired Networks. IEEE Communications Magazine, 44–53 (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Agharebparast, F., Leung, V.C.M.: QoS Support in the UMTS/GPRS Backbone Network Using DiffServ. In: IEEE Globecom 2002, Teipei, ROC (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 11.ExtremeWare ® Software User Guide, Software version 6.2.2, Extreme Networks Inc., http://www.extremenetworks.com
- 12.ALTQ software, http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/~kjc/software.html#ALTQ