Contour-Based Shape Representation for Image Compression and Analysis
With the rapid growth of computing power, many concepts and tools of image analysis are becoming more and more popular in other data processing fields, such as image and video compression. Image segmentation, in particular, has a central role in the object-based video coding standard MPEG-4, as well as in various region-based coding schemes used for remote-sensing imagery. A region-based image description, however, is only useful if it has a limited representation cost, which calls for accurate and efficient tools for the description of region boundaries.
A very promising approach relies on the extended boundary concept, first discussed in  and  and later used by Liow  to develop a contour tracing algorithm. In this work, we extend Liow’s algorithm and introduce the corresponding reconstruction technique needed for coding purposes. In addition, we define an algebraic semi-group structure that allows us to formally prove the algorithm properties, to extend it to other boundary definitions, and to introduce a fast contour tracing algorithm which only requires a raster scan of the image.
KeywordsImage Compression Multispectral Image Common Boundary Composition Rule Extended Boundary
- 2.Gelli, G., Poggi, G., Ragozini, A.R.P.: Multispectral-image compression based on tree-structured Markov random field segmentation and transform coding. In: Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 1999. IGARSS 1999 Proceedings. IEEE 1999 International, vol. 2, pp. 1167–1170 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.D’Elia, C., Poggi, G., Scarpa, G.: An Adaptive MRF model for boundary preserving segmentation of multispectral images. In: Eusipco 2002 (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.D’elia, C., Poggi, G., Scarpa, G.: Advances in segmentation and compression of multispectral images. In: Proc. IEEE IGARSS 2001, vol. 6, pp. 2671–2673, Sidney (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Pavlidis, T.: Structure Pattern Recongnition. Springer, Berlin (1977)Google Scholar
- 8.Puri, A., Chen, T.: Multimedia Systems, Standards, and Networks. Signal Processing and Communications Series, Marcel Dekker Inc. (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 9.MPEG-4 System Group: Coding of audio-visual objects: video, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 N2202 (March 1998)Google Scholar