A Fast Group Communication Mechanism for Large Scale Distributed Objects
Group communication undoubtedly is a useful paradigm for many distributed object systems. Provision of a fast and scalable group communication mechanism can considerably improve the efficiency of these systems. In this paper, we propose a new group communication mechanism for large scale distributed objects over a huge heterogeneous inter-network. The proposed mechanism uses Message Dispatcher Objects, objects co-located with each group member to distribute and parallelize the group communication load among all group members. Our proposed mechanism also recovers from the host failure in the system. Experimental results show that our scheme scales well in a large number of group members.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Coulouris, G., Dollimore, J., Kindberg, T.: Distributed Systems – Concepts and Design, 3rd edn. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.OMG. Fault Tolerant CORBA Specification. OMG document ptc/2000-04-04 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Fekete, A., Kediar, I.: A Framework for Highly Available Services Based on Group Communication. In: IEEE 21st International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops(ICDCS-21W 2001); the International Workshop on Applied Reliable Group Communication (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Goft, G., Yeger Lotem, E.: The AS/400 Cluster Engine: A Case Study. In: IGCC 1999 in conjunction with ICPP (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Birman, K., Friedman, R., Hyden, M., Rhee, I.: Middleware Support for Distributed Multimedia and Collaborative Computing. In: Multimedia Computing and Networking, MMCN 1998 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Amir, Y., Stanton, J.: The Spread Wide Area Group Communication System. Technical Report CNDS-98-4. Johns Hopkins University (1998)Google Scholar