VETOT, Volume Estimation and Tracking Over Time: Framework and Validation
We have implemented an effective and publicly available tool, VETOT, to track and quantify the evolution of tumors and organs over time. VETOT includes a framework both for registration and segmentation. We have evaluated the accuracy and reliability of different level set segmentation methods in order to validate this part of our software and evaluate its usability. In addition to the registration and segmentation frameworks, our program allows the creation of inter- and intra-patient atlases based on a common coordinate system defined by the landmarks selected during the registration process. Based on the National Library of Medicine’s Insight toolkit, this free software is extensible and provides an intuitive interface that allows very fast processing with minimum training. This paper details VETOT and our level set segmentation evaluation.
KeywordsVolume Estimation Rigid Registration Smoothness Constraint Deformable Registration Geodesic Active Contour
- 3.Whitaker, R., Xue, X.: Variable-Conductance, Level-Set Curvature for Image Denoising. In: Proc. International Conf. Signal Processing (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Weeks, S.M., Wilber, K.P., Aylward, S.R.: Volume estimantion using conventional hand tracing techniques versus automatic thresholding techniques: can we be more accurate and save time? In: Proceedings of the Radiological Society of North America, Chicago IL (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Gerig, G., Jomier, M., Chakos, M.: Valmet: A new validation tool for assessing and improving 3D object segmentation Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Wells, W.M., Viola, P., Kikinis, R.: Multi-Modal Volume Registration by Maximization of Mutual InformationGoogle Scholar
- 8.Gerig, G., Welti, D., Guttmann, C., Colchester, A., Szekely, G.: Exploring the discrimination power of the time domain for segmentation and characterization of lesions in serial MR data. In: Wells, W.M., Colchester, A.C.F., Delp, S.L. (eds.) MICCAI 1998. LNCS, vol. 1496, pp. 469–480. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar