Modeling of a Multi-agent System for Coordination of Supply Chains with Complexity and Uncertainty
In supply chain management, improving the efficiency of the overall supply chain is important. It has been found that sharing information between supply chain members can increase the efficiency of the supply chain by varying degrees in different situations. There are, however, many practical difficulties in sharing information with all the companies in a complex supply chain. This paper presents a multi-agent system for supply chain coordination where agents discover the structure of supply chains and share information on inventory levels only by local collaborations. Agents use the gathered information to estimate demands propagated from multiple markets through a complex network of companies with different lead times and market shares. The performance of the suggested system is investigated with a simulation experiment and the result is compared with an alternative strategy.
KeywordsSupply Chain Information Sharing Supply Chain Management Multiagent System Market Demand
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Berry, D., Naim., M.M.: Quantifying the relative improvements of redesign strategies in a P. C. supply chain. Production Economics 46–47, 181–196 (1996)Google Scholar
- 14.Barbuceanu, M., Teigen, R., Fox, M.S.: Agent Based Design and Simulation of Supply Chain Systems. In: 6th Workshop on Enabling Technologies Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises (WET-ICE 1997), pp. 18–20 (1997)Google Scholar
- 15.Chen, Y., Peng, Y., Labrou, Y., Cost, S., Chu, B., Yao, J., Sun, R., Willhelm, B.: A negotiation-based Multi-agent system for supply chain management. In: Workshop on Agents for Electronic Commerce and Managing the Internet-Enabled Supply Chain, Seattle, WA, April 1999, pp. 15–20 (1999)Google Scholar
- 18.Min, J.U., Bjornsson, H.: Agent Based Supply Chain Management Automation. In: The Eighth International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, ICCCBE-VIII (2000)Google Scholar
- 24.Walsh, W.E., Wellman, M.P.: Modeling Supply Chain Formation in Multiagent Systems. In: Agent Mediated Electronic Commerce Workshop (IJCAI 1999), pp. 94–101 (1999)Google Scholar
- 25.Yuan, Y., Liang, T.P., Zhang, J.J.: Using Agent Technology to Support Supply Chain Management: Potentials and Challenges. Michael G. DeGroote School of Business Working Paper Searies 453 (2001)Google Scholar
- 26.FIPA00025: FIPA Interaction Protocol Library Specification. Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents (2001) Google Scholar
- 27.Pindyck, R.S., Rubinfeld, D.L.: Econometric Models and Economic Forecasts, 3rd edn. McGraw-Hill International, New York (1991)Google Scholar