An Ontology-Based Intelligent Agent System for Semantic Search in Medicine
The volume of literature in the medical domain is expanded exponentially and generating a proper query for finding related information puts a cognitive burden on users, due to a full of professional keywords in the domain. We describe an ontology-based information retrieval agent system in medicine through bio-related literature database MEDLINE, in particular. The task of interface agent system here is to proactively help user to reformulate queries in order to get useful and relevant information by utilizing both existing medical ontologies and its own agent ontology. Agent ontology is in the form of the Semantic Web languages. The goal of the research is to improve the quality of information retrieval and reduce user’s cognitive load during information search by employing agent system for semantic search. Empirical results are evaluated and discussed for agent performance.
KeywordsInformation Retrieval User Interface Agent System Semantic Web Semantic Search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sowa, J.: Knowledge Representation: Logical, Philosophical, and Computational Foundations. PWS Publishing Co., New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Uschold, M., Jasper, R.: A Framework for Understanding and Classifying Ontology Applications. In: Proceedings of the IJCAI 1999 Workshop on Ontologies and Problem-Solving Methods (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Semantic Web in W3C, http://www.w3c.org/2001/sw
- 5.Hunt, D., McKibbon, K.: Locating and appraising systematic reviews. Ann. Intern. Med. 126, 532–538 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Glanville, J., Lefebvre, C.: Identifying systematic reviews: key resources. ACP J. Club. 132, A11–2 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Bero, L., Jadad, A.: How consumers and policymakers can use systematic reviews for decision making. Ann. Intern. Med. 127, 37–42 (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Eberhart, A.: An Agent Infrastructure based on Semantic Web Standards. submitted to Elsevier Science (May 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Boley, H., Tabet, S., Wagner, G.: Design rationale of RuleML: A markup language for Semantic Web rules. In: Semantic Web Working Symposium (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.TRIPLE Semantic Web (March 2002), http://triple.semanticweb.org/
- 12.Abasolo, J.M., Gomez, M.: MELISA. An ontology-based agent for information retrieval in medicine. In: Semantic Web Proceedings in 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Shah, U., Finin, T., Joshi, A., Cost, R.S., Mayfield, J.: Information Retrieval on the Semantic Web. submitted to 2nd Conf. Semantic Web (2003)Google Scholar