Fleet Assignment with Connection Dependent Ground Times
Given a flight schedule, which consists of a set of flights with specified departure and arrival times, a set of aircraft types and a set of restrictions, the airline fleet assignment problem (FAP) is to determine which aircraft type should fly each flight. As the FAP is only one step in a sequence of several optimization problems, important restrictions of later steps should also be considered in the FAP. This paper shows how one type of these restrictions, connection dependent ground times, can be added to the fleet assignment problem and presents three optimization methods that can solve real-world problem instances with more than 6000 legs within minutes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barnhart, C., Boland, N.L., Clarke, L.W., Shenoi, R.G.: Flight strings models for aircraft fleeting and routing. Technical report, MIT Cambridge (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Belanger, N., Desaulniers, G., Soumis, F., Desrosiers, J., Lavigne, J.: Airline fleet assignment with homogeneity. Technical report, GERAD, Montréal (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Clarke, L.W., Hane, C.A., Johnson, E.L., Nemhauser, G.L.: Maintenance and crew considerations in fleet assignment. Technical report (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Götz, S., Grothklags, S., Kliewer, G., Tschöke, S.: Solving the weekly fleet assignment problem for large airlines. In: MIC 1999, pp. 241 – 246 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Kniker, T.S., Barnhart, C.: Shortcomings of the conventional fleet assignment model. Technical report, MIT Cambridge (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Radicke, U.-D.: Algorithmen für das Fleet Assignment von Flugplänen. Verlag Shaker, Aachen (1994)Google Scholar
- 15.Sharma, D., Ahuja, R.K., Orlin, J.B.: Neighborhood search algorithms for the combined through-fleet assignment model. Talk at ISMP 2000 (2000)Google Scholar
- 16.Sosnowska, D.: Optimization of a simplified fleet assignment problem with metaheuristics: Simulated annealing and GRASP. In: Pardalos, P.M. (ed.) Approximation and Complexity in Numerical Optimization. Kluwer Academic Publisher, Dordrecht (2000)Google Scholar