PDL with Maximum Consistency Monitors
In the context of Network management, Chomicki, Lobo and Naqvi have defined the specification language PDL (Policy Description Language) and later extended it by introducing monitors: constraints on the actions that the network manager cannot execute simultaneously.
We argue that PDL with monitors is an appealing language that can be applied to specification and implementation of intelligent systems beyond network management. To do so, we discuss two extensions of it. In the first extension monitors are defined as computing a maximum set of actions compatible with the constraints, rather than a maximal one. The inevitably higher computational complexity of this extension is assessed. In the second extension, negative events, a device already introduced by Chomicki et al., are treated as equivalent to regular events, thus allowing more intuitive results from monitor application.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Chomicki et al., 2000]Chomicki, J., Lobo, J., Naqvi, S.: A logic programming approach to conflict resolution in policy management. In: Proc. of KR 2000, 7th Int’l Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, pp. 121–132. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2000)Google Scholar
- [Chomicki et al., 2001]
- [Chomicki et al., 2003]Chomicki, J., Lobo, J., Naqvi, S.: Conflict Resolution using Logic Programming. To appear on IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE) 15(1), 244–249 (2003), Available from http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~chomicki/
- [Gelfond and Lifschitz, 1991]Gelfond, M., Lifschitz, V.: Classical negation in logic programs and disjunctive databases. New Generation Computing, 365–387 (1991)Google Scholar
- [Liberatore, 1999]Liberatore, P.: Algorithms and Experiments on Finding Minimal Models. Tech. Report 09–99, DIS, University of Rome “La Sapienza.” (1999)Google Scholar
- [Lobo et al., 1999]Lobo, J., Bhatia, R., Naqvi, S.: A Policy Description Language. In: AAAI/IAAI, pp. 291–298 (1999)Google Scholar
- [Papadimitriou, 1994]
- [Schlipf, 1995]
- [Systems]Web location of the most known ASP solvers, aspps: http://www.cs.uky.edu/ai/aspps/, CCalc: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/tag/cc/, Cmodels: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/tag/cmodels.html, DLV: http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/proj/dlv/, NoMoRe: http://www.cs.uni-potsdam.de/linke/nomore/, SMODELS: http://www.tcs.hut.fi/Software/smodels/
- [Virmani et al., 2000]Virmani, J., Lobo, L., Kohli, M.: NETMON: Network Management for the SARAS Softswitch. In: Proc. of IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symp. (2000)Google Scholar