Evolving Aggregation Behaviors in a Swarm of Robots
In this paper, we study aggregation in a swarm of simple robots, called s − bots, having the capability to self-organize and self-assemble to form a robotic system, called a swarm − bot. The aggregation process, observed in many biological systems, is of fundamental importance since it is the prerequisite for other forms of cooperation that involve self-organization and self-assembling. We consider the problem of defining the control system for the swarm − bot using artificial evolution. The results obtained in a simulated 3D environment are presented and analyzed. They show that artificial evolution, exploiting the complex interactions among s − bots and between s − bots and the environment, is able to produce simple but general solutions to the aggregation problem.
KeywordsVortex Recombination Mold Turkey Bark
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Baldassarre, G., Nolfi, S., Parisi, D.: Evolving Mobile Robots Able to Display Collective Behaviours. In: Hemelrijk, C.K., Bonabeau, E. (eds.) Proceedings of the International Workshop on Self-organisation and Evolution of Social Behaviour, Monte Verit‘a, Ascona, Switzerland, September 8–13, pp. 11–22 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Bonner, J.T.: The Cellular Slime Mold. Princeton University Press, Princeton (1967)Google Scholar
- 5.Camazine, S., Deneubourg, J.-L., Franks, N., Sneyd, J., Theraulaz, G., Bonabeau, E.: Self-Organization in Biological Systems. Princeton University Press, Princeton (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Nolfi, S., Floreano, D.: Evolutionary Robotics: The Biology, Intelligence, and Technology of Self-Organizing Machines. MIT Press/Bradford Books, Cambridge, MA (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Pettinaro, G.C., Kwee, I.W., Gambardella, L.M., Mondada, F., Floreano, D., Nolfi, S., Deneubourg, J.-L., Dorigo, M.: Swarm robotics: A different approach to service robotics. In: Proceedings of the 33rd International Symposium on Robotics, Stockholm, Sweden, October 7–11 (2002); International Federation of RoboticsGoogle Scholar
- 10.Şahin, E., Labella, T.H., Trianni, V., Deneubourg, J.-L., Rasse, P., Floreano, D., Gambardella, L.M., Mondada, F., Nolfi, S., Dorigo, M.: SWARM-BOTS: Pattern formation in a swarm of self-assembling mobile robots. In: El Kamel, A., Mellouli, K., Borne, P. (eds.) Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Hammamet, Tunisia, October 6–9, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ (2002)Google Scholar