Volumetric Spatiotemporal Data Model
This paper summarizes the Volumetric Spatiotemporal Data Model which has been developed to manage surface movement in the Virtual Geographical Information Systems (VGIS). Volumetric is one type of spatial object in the VGIS, which is used to develop visualize 3D information. In order to develop real process in VGIS, temporal element is an important issue to integrate with 3D object. Here, we propose one spatiotemporal data model used to manage volumetric surface movement according to movement criteria used in VGIS. Time has been integrated with the data model and temporal version of volumetric surface data can be stored by using the model. This model has been implemented by developing prototype of visualization system using Triangulation Irregular Network (TIN) with integrated time in the TIN structure. Result shows that the data model which has been proposed can work with a visualization algorithm using linear interpolation and improvement TIN structure.
KeywordsVolumetric and 3D Spatiotemporal Data Model Database TIN VGIS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Yuan, M., D. M. Mark, M. J. Egenhofer, and D. J. Peuquet, 2004. Extensions to Geographic Representations. Chapter 5 in R. B. McMaster and E. L. Usery (eds.), A Research Agenda for Geographic Information Science, Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press, 129–156Google Scholar
- Nadi, S., Delavar, M.R. (2003) Spatio-Temporal Modeling of Dynamic Phenomena in GIS, ScanGIS 2003 Proceeding, p.p 215–225Google Scholar
- Rahim M.S.M, Shariff A.R.M, Mansor S., Mahmud A.R. (2005), A Review on Spatiotemporal Data Model For Managing Data Movement in Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Journal of Information Technology, FSKSM, UTM, Vol 1, Jld 9, December, p.p 21–32Google Scholar
- Narciso, F.E. (1999) A Spatiotemporal Data Model For Incorporating Time In Geographical Information Systems (GEN-STGIS), Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science and Engineering, University of South Florida, April.Google Scholar
- Ale, R., Wolfgang, K. (1999) Cell Tuple Based Spatio-Temporal Data Model: An Object Oriented Approach, Geographic Information Systems, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) Press New York, NY, USA, 2–6 November, p.p 20–25Google Scholar
- Philip, J.U. (2001) A Spatiotemporal Data Model for Zoning, Masters of Science Thesis, Department of Geography, Brigham Young UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Bonan, L., Guoray, C. (2002) A General Object-Oriented Spatial Temporal Data Model, Symposium on Geospatial Theory, Processing and Applications, Ottawa, March.Google Scholar
- Elena, C, Commossi, Michela, B. Elisa, B. Giovanna, G. (2003) A Multigranular Spatiotemporal Data Model, GIS’03, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, November 7–8, p.p 94–101Google Scholar
- Yanfen, L. (2004) A Feature-Based Temporal Representation and Its Implementation with Object-Relational Schema for Base Geographic Data in Object-Based Form, UCGIS Assembly.Google Scholar
- Roddick, J.F., Egenhofer, M.J, Hoel E., Papadias D, (2004), Spatial, Temporal, and Spatiotemporal Databases, SIGMOD Record Web Edition, Vol 33, No. 2, June 2004.Google Scholar
- Mountrakis G., Agouris P., Stefanidis A., (2005), Similarity Learning in GIS: An Overview of Definitions, Prerequisites and Challenges, Spatial Databases Technologies, Techniques and Trends, Idea Group Publishing, p.p 295–321Google Scholar