Alcian Blue Staining Technique for Tracing the Governing Vessel (GV) Meridian in Rat
There has been much effort in search for the anatomical structure corresponding to acupuncture meridians without success. For this work one needs specific dyes that stain exclusively the tissues of acupuncture meridians. Until the present time no one was able to find the necessary dyes except Bong Han Kim who claimed finding such a dye to trace all the meridians. Unfortunately he kept this dye secret and no one was able to reproduce his result. Only very recently we found a staining dye, Alcian blue that stains the acupuncture meridian and were able to trace the governing vessel (GV) of a rat using this dye. After injection of Alcian blue at LSP (lumbar sacral point) of the GV meridian, we observed a blue line at the GV meridian above loose connective tissue. The dye flowed along the meridian from the acupuncture point, while it spread by diffusion process when injected at non-acupoints. The dye stains hyaluronic acid which is known to be highly concentrated in Bonghan duct system. Thus our observation is in agreement with Bonghan theory, and can be a starting point of tracing all other meridians.
KeywordsAcupuncture meridian Alcian blue Bonghan duct system Lumbar sacral point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Deadman P, Al-Khafaji M, Baker K (2001) A manual of acupuncture. Sung In printing, England.Google Scholar
- 3.Kim BH (1965) On the Kyungrak system. J Acad Med Sci DPR korea 1–15Google Scholar
- 4.Kim BH (1965) On the Kyungrak system. J Acad Med Sci DPR korea 20–41Google Scholar
- 5.Fujiwara S, Yu SB (1967) ‘Bonghan Theory’ morphological studies. Igaku no Ayumi 60: 567–577Google Scholar
- 7.Lee BC, Park ES, Nam TJ et al (2004) Bonghan ducts on the surface of rat internal organs. J Int Soc Life Info Sci 22:455–459Google Scholar
- 8.Ripellino JA, Klinger MM, Margolis RU et al (1985) The hyaluronic acid binding region as a specific brobe for the localization of hyaluronic acid tissue section. Application to chick embryo and rat brain. J Histochem Cytochem 33:1060–1066Google Scholar
- 10.Lee KJ, Kim SY, Jung TE et al (2004) unique duct system and the corpuscle like structures found on the surface of the liver. J Int Soc Life Info Sci 22:460–462Google Scholar
- 11.Kim BH (1965) Sanal theory. J Acad Med Sci DOR Korea 168:5–38Google Scholar