A Vision Based System for Goal-Directed Obstacle Avoidance
We present a complete system for obstacle avoidance for a mobile robot. It was used in the RoboCup 2003 obstacle avoidance challenge in the Sony Four Legged League. The system enables the robot to detect unknown obstacles and reliably avoid them while advancing toward a target. It uses monocular vision data with a limited field of view. Obstacles are detected on a level surface of known color(s). A radial model is constructed from the detected obstacles giving the robot a representation of its surroundings that integrates both current and recent vision information. Sectors of the model currently outside the current field of view of the robot are updated using odometry. Ways of using this model to achieve accurate and fast obstacle avoidance in a dynamic environment are presented and evaluated. The system proved highly successful by winning the obstacle avoidance challenge and was also used in the RoboCup championship games.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Borenstein, J., Koren, Y.: The Vector Field Histogram Fast Obstacle Avoidance For Mobile Robots. IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.Horswill.: Polly: A Vision-Based Artificial Agent. In: Proceedings of the 11th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 1993) (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Khatib, O.: Real-Time Obstacle Avoidance for Manipulators and Mobile Robots. The International Journal of Robotics Research 5(1) (1986)Google Scholar
- 6.Lenser, S., Veloso, M.: Visual Sonar: Fast Obstacle Avoidance Using Monocular Vision. In: Proceedings of IROS 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Röfer, T., Dahm, I., Düffert, U., Hoffmann, J., Jüngel, M., Kallnik, M., Lötzsch, M., Risler, M., Stelzer, M., Ziegler, J.: GermanTeam 2003. In: 7th International Workshop on RoboCup 2003 (Robot World Cup Soccer Games and Conferences). LNCS (LNAI). Springer, Heidelberg (2004) (to appear), more detailed in, http://www.robocup.de/germanteam/GT2003.pdf Google Scholar
- 8.Röfer, T., Jüngel, M.: Vision-Based Fast and Reactive Monte-Carlo Localization. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2003)Google Scholar