A Distributed Passive Measurement Infrastructure
In this paper we describe a distributed passive measurement infrastructure. Its goals are to reduce the cost and configuration effort per measurement. The infrastructure is scalable with regards to link speeds and measurement locations. A prototype is currently deployed at our university and a demo is online at http://inga.its.bth.se/projects/dpmi. The infrastructure differentiates between measurements and the analysis of measurements, this way the actual measurement equipment can focus on the practical issues of packet measurements. By using a modular approach the infrastructure can handle many different capturing devices. The infrastructure can also deal with the security and privacy aspects that might arise during measurements.
KeywordsMeasurement Point Intrusion Detection System Link Speed Measurement Frame Packet Trace
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CAIDA: CoralReef (2005), http://www.caida.org/tools/measurement/coralreef (Verfied in, January 2005)
- 2.Sprint: IPMON (2005), http://ipmon.sprint.com (Verified in, January 2005)
- 3.AT&T: Gigascope (2005) , http://www.research.att.com/info/Projects/Gigascope (Verified in, January 2005)
- 4.IETF: PSAMP Workgroup (2005), http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/psamp-charter.html (Verfied in, January 2005)
- 5.IETF: IPFIX Workgroup (2005), http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipfix-charter.html (Verfied in, January 2005)
- 6.IETF: A Framework for Packet Selection and Reporting (2005), http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-psamp-framework-10.txt (Verfied in, January 2005)
- 7.Pang, R., Paxson, V.: A high-level programming environment for packet trace anonymization and transformation. In: SIGCOMM 2003: Proceedings of the 2003 conference on Applications, technologies, architectures, and protocols for computer communications, pp. 339–351. ACM Press, New York (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Fiedler, M., Tutschku, K., Carlsson, P., Nilsson, A.A.: Identification of performance degradation in ip networks using throughput statistic. In: Proceedings of the 18th nternational Teletraffic Congress (ITC-18), pp. 399–408. ELSEVIER, Amsterdam (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.EuroNGI: Homepage (2005), http://www.eurongi.org (Verified in, January 2005)
- 11.TCPDUMP Public Repository: Homepage (2005), http://www.tcpdump.org (Verfied in, January 2005)
- 12.Endace Measurement Systems: Homepage (2005), http://www.endace.com (Verified in, January 2005)