The Transition from School to University: Would Prior Study of Computing Help?
We investigate issues in the preparation of students for undergraduate study. Specifically, we focus upon the question of whether computer science students would be better prepared if they were required to pass a school level qualification in the discipline. Thus we investigate the school level curriculum in detail and make a comparison with the demands of a typical UK university first year. We conclude that there is no reason necessarily to see a school level qualification as assisting the preparation of students for undergraduate study in computer science. Rather, we hypothesise that the value of the qualification will depend heavily on the nature of the teaching experienced.
KeywordsSchool Level Grand Challenge Structure Query Language Undergraduate Curriculum Examination Board
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Clark, M.: Teaching computing in the liquid modern world. Presented at Grand Challenges in Computing, University of Newcastle, March 29-31 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Utting, I.: Mind the gap! Presented at Grand Challenges in Computing, University of Newcastle, March 29-31 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Johnson, C.: What do students want ... Presented at Grand Challenges in Computing, University of Newcastle, March 29-31 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.University of Leeds: Coursefinder 2003 (2002) Available at: http://tldynamic.leeds.ac.uk/ugcoursefinder/2003 [accessed 3.6.04]
- 6.Boyle, R., Clark, M.: A-level computing: its content and value. University of Leeds School of Computing Report No. 2002.15 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Clark, M.: Constructing the discipline of computing: implications for the curriculum. unpublished PhD thesis, University of Kent, UK (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Brown, M., Macrae, S., Rodd, M.: Mathematics undergraduates’ attitudes to their course (2004) (in preparation)Google Scholar
- 11.Child, D.: A-levels as a predictor: the correlation between A-level grades and degree results for the 1981 entry to Leeds. The Reporter: The University of Leeds newsletter 4, 255 (1986)Google Scholar
- 13.Bekhradnia, B.: Who does best at university? (2002) Available at: http://www.hefce.ac.uk/learning/whodoes [accessed 3.6.04]
- 14.Boyle, R.D., Clark, M.A.C.: A-level computing: its history and development. IEEE Annals of the History of Computing (2004) (Forthcoming)Google Scholar
- 16.British Computer Society: Exemption & accreditation for higher education institutions (2003) Available at: http://www.bcs.org/BCS/Products/HEAccreditation [accessed 7.6.04]