A Congestion Control Scheme for Supporting Differentiated Service in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
There is a growing need to support quality-of-service (QoS) in mobile ad hoc networks. Supporting differentiated services (DiffServ) in mobile ad hoc networks, however, is very difficult because of the dynamic nature of mobile ad hoc networks, which causes network congestion. We propose DiffServ module to support differentiated service in mobile ad hoc networks through congestion control. Our DiffServ module uses the periodical rate control for real time traffic and also uses the best effort bandwidth concession when network congestion occurs. We evaluate our mechanism via a simulation study. Simulation results show our mechanism may offer a low and stable delay and a stable throughput for real time traffic in mobile ad hoc networks.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blake, S., Black, D., Carlson, M., Davies, E., Wang, Z., Weiss, W.: An architecture for differentiated services. IETF, RFC 2475 (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Davie, B., Charny, A., Bennett, J.C.R., Benson, K., Le Boudec, J.Y., Courtney, W., Davari, S., Firoiu, V., Stiliadis, D.: An expedited forwarding PHB. IETF, RFC 3246 (March 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Charny, A., Bennett, J.D.R., Benson, K., Le Boudec, J.Y., Chiu, A., Courtney, W., Davari, S., Firoiu, V., Kalmanek, C., Ramakrishnan, K.K.: Supplemental information for the new definition of the EF PHB. IETF, RFC 3247 (March 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.IEEE 802.11 Working Group.: Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications. IEEE standard 802.11 (June 1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Ahn, G.-S., Campbell, A.T., Veres, A., Sun, L.-H.: Supporting service differentiation for real-time and best-effort traffic in stateless wireless ad hoc networks. IEEE Trans. Mobile computing 1 (July-September 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, S., Nahrstedt, K.: Distributed quality-of-service routing in ad hoc networks. IEEE JSAC 17(8) (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Feng, W.-c., Shin, K.G., Kandlur, D.D., Saha, D.: The BLUE Active Queue Management Algorithms. IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.El-Gency, M.A., Bose, A., Shin, K.G.: Evolution of the internet QoS and support for soft real-time applications. Proc. IEEE 91(7) (July 2003)Google Scholar