Determining Differentiated Services Network Pricing Through Auctions
Over the years, quality of service (QoS) has attracted attention from researchers. How to guarantee QoS to customers despite the rapid change of the network status is the main concern. Pricing provides an effective economic means of congestion control and revenue generation. We examine pricing as an effective strategy for revenue management in DiffServ networks. In this paper, we propose an auction scheme to allocate network resources efficiently so as to maximize service provider’s revenue. We examine an auction mechanism that provides multiple options for customers to bid on the resources that they require as well as the price they are willing to pay. The service provider acts as an admission control unit in the sense of deciding the admission price and service provided for each class. We target the goal of maximizing a service provider’s revenue through auctions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Basar, T., Srikant, R.: Revenue-Maximizing Pricing and Capacity Expansion in a Many-Users Regime. In: IEEE Infocom (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Bernet, Y., Binder, J., Blake, S., Carlson, M., Carpenter, B.E., Keshav, S., Davies, E., Ohlman, B., Verma, D., Wang, Z., Weiss, W.: A Framework for Differentiated Services, IETF Internet Draft (February 1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Lazar, A.A., Semret, N.: Auctions for Network Resource Sharing CTR Technical Report CU/CTR/TR 468-97-02, Columbia University, February 11 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Marbach, P.: Pricing Priority Classes in a Differentiated Services Network. In: Proceeding of the 37th Annual Allerton Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing, Monticello, IL (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.MacKie-Mason, J.F., Varian, H.: Pricing the Internet. In: Kahin, B., Keller, J. (eds.) Public Access to the Internet. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Mackie-Mason, J., Varian, H.: Pricing Congestible Network Resources. IEEE JSAC 13(7), 114–148 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Reichl, P., Leinen, S., Stiller, B.: A Practical Review of Pricing and Cost Recovery for Internet Services. In: Proc. of the 2nd Internet Economics Workshop Berlin IEW 1999 (May 1999)Google Scholar