Network Traffic Sampling Model on Packet Identification
A new sampling model for measurement using IP packet identification (IPID) on IP network is provided in this paper under a principle of PSAMP, a working group of IETF, that a good sampling model should work for all purposes of measurement applications at the same time with a simple way. In the paper, and a multi-mask sampling model on the identification field can not only control sampling precise to 1/65536, but also use different sampling parameters among different measurement points. The randomicity and coordination of sampled packets can be assured automatically, and both network traffic performance and statistical characters are analyzed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Thompson, K., Miller, G.J., Wilder, R.: Wide-Area Internet Traffic Patterns and Characteristics (Extended Version). IEEE Network (November/December 1997)Google Scholar
- 2.CAIDA Homepage (November 2004), http://www.caida.org
- 3.Cozzani, I., Giordano, S.: A passive test and measurement system: traffic sampling for QoS evaluation. In: Global Telecommunications Conference, GLOBECOM 1998. The Bridge to Global Integration, vol. 2, pp. 1236–1241. IEEE, Los Alamitos (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Packet Sampling (psamp) Bof, Minutes of the Packet Sampling (PSAMP) BOF IETF 53, Minneapolis, Tuesday (March 19, 2002); 9:00-11:30, http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02mar/164.htm
- 6.Guang, C., Jian, G., Wei, D.: A Traffic Sampling Model for Measurement Using Packet Identification. In: ICON 2002. Proceedings 10th IEEE International Conference on Networks, Singapore, August 27-30, pp. 409–413 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhenyu, J.: Information Theory, pp. 11–47. Beijing University of Science and Technology Press, Beijing (1991) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 8.Guang, C.: Research on Traffic Sampling Measurement and Behavior Analysis in Large-Scale High Speed IP Networks. Ph.D. dissertation Southeast University, pp. 24–44 (2003) (in Chinese)Google Scholar