Active Traffic Monitoring for Heterogeneous Environments
The traffic management of IP networks faces increasing challenges, due to the occurrence of sudden and deep traffic variations in the network, which can be mainly attributed to the large diversity of supported applications and services, to the drastic differences in user behaviors, and to the complexity of traffic generation and control mechanisms. In this context, active traffic measurements are particularly important since they allow characterizing essential aspects of network operations, namely the quality of service measured in terms of packet delays and losses.
The main goal of the work presented in this paper is the performance characterization of operational networks consisting in heterogeneous environments including both wired and wireless LANs, using active measurements. We propose a measurement methodology and its corresponding measurement platform. The measurement methodology is based on the One-Way Active Measurement Protocol (OWAMP), a recent proposal from the Internet2 and IETF IPPM groups for measuring delays and losses in a single direction. The measurement platform was implemented, tested and conveniently validated in different network scenarios.
KeywordsNetwork management traffic monitoring active measurement OWAMP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pasztor, A., Veitch, D.: High precision active probing for internet measurement. In: Proceedings of INET 2001 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Corral, J., Texier, G., Toutain, L.: End-to-end active measurement architecture in ip networks (saturne). In: Proceedings of Passive and Active Measurement Workshop PAM 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.NeTraMet home page, http://www.auckland.ac.nz/net/netramet/
- 5.White Paper - NetFlow Services and Applications, http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/neflct/tech/napps_wp.htm
- 6.Almes, G., Kalidindi, S., Zekauskas, M.: RFC 2679: A one-way delay metric for ippm (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Almes, G., Kalidindi, S., Zekauskas, M.: RFC 2680: A one-way packet loss metric for ippm (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Shalunov, S., Teitelbaum, B., Karp, A., Matthew, J., Zekauskas, J.W.B.: A one-way active measurement protocol (owamp), internet draft (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Internet2 End-to-End Performance Initiative, http://e2epi.internet2.edu
- 10.Boyd, E.L., Boote, J.W., Shalunov, S., Zekauskas, M.J.: The internet2 e2e pipes project: An interoperable federation of measurement domains for performance debugging (2004)Google Scholar