Information Fusion for Data Dissemination in Self-Organizing Wireless Sensor Networks
Data dissemination is a fundamental task in wireless sensor networks. Because of the radios range limitation and energy consumption constraints, sensor data is commonly disseminated in a multihop fashion (flat networks) through a tree topology. However, to the best of our knowledge none of the current solutions worry about the moment when the dissemination topology needs to be rebuilt. This work addresses such problem introducing the use of information fusion mechanisms, where the traffic is handled as a signal that is filtered and translated into evidences that indicate the likelihood of critical failures occurrence. These evidences are combined by a Dempster-Shafer engine to detect the need for a topology reconstruction. Our solution, called Diffuse, is evaluated through a set of simulations. We conclude that information fusion is a promising approach that can improve the performance of dissemination algorithms for wireless sensor networks by avoiding unnecessary traffic.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Intanagonwiwat, C., Govindan, R., Estrin, D.: Directed diffusion: A scalable and robust communication paradigm for sensor networks. In: Proc. of the 6th ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Boston, USA, pp. 56–67 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Heidemann, J., Silva, F., Estrin, D.: Matching data dissemination algorithms to application requirements. In: Proc. of the 1st International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, Los Angeles, USA, pp. 218–229 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Krishanamachari, B., Estrin, D., Wicker, S.: The impact of data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. In: Proc. of the 22nd International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, Vienna, Austria, pp. 575–578 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhou, C., Krishnamachari, B.: Localized topology generation mechanisms for self-configuring sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE GLOBECOM 2003, San Francisco, USA, vol. 22, pp. 1269–1273 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Brooks, R.R., Iyengar, S.S.: Multi-Sensor Fusion: Fundamentals and Applications with Software. Prentice-Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Siaterlis, C., Maglaris, B.: Towards multisensor data fusion for DoS detection. In: Proc. of the 19th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, Nicosia, Cyprus, pp. 439–446 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Smith, S.W.: The Scientist and Engineer’s Guide to Digital Signal Processing, 2nd edn. California Technical Publishing, San Diego (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.NS-2 (The network simulator), http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- 13.Crossbow (Mica2), http://www.xbow.com