A Cluster-Based Energy Balancing Scheme in Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks
In this paper, we propose a novel, cluster-based energy balancing scheme. We assume the existence of a fraction of “strong” nodes in terms of abundant storage, computing and communication abilities as well as energy. With the transformation of the flat network infrastructure into a hierarchical one, we obtained significant improvements in energy balancing leading to a longer connected time of the network. The improvement is quantified by mathematical analysis and extensive numerical simulations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bhardwaj, M., Garnett, T., Chandrakasan, A.P.: Upper Bounds on the Lifetime of Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Communications, ICC (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Bhardwaj, M., Chandrakasan, A.P.: Bounding the Lifetime of Sensor Networks via Optimal Role Assignments. In: Proceedings of INFOCOM 2002, New York, June 2002, pp. 1587–1596 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Heinzelman, W.R., Chandrakasan, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy-Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2000) (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Heinzelman, W.R.: Application-Specific Protocol Architectures for Wireless Sensor Networks. Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institution of Technology (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Sichitiu, M.L.: Cross-Layer Scheduling for Power Efficiency in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of INFOCOM 2004, Hong Kong, P. R. China (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Rappaport, T.: Wireless Communications: Principles & Practice. Prentice-Hall, Inc., New Jersey (1996)Google Scholar