UML-Based Approach for Network QoS Specification
New applications require Quality of Service from networks. Managing QoS increases even more the complexity of networks. Network development techniques must apprehend this complexity from a functional point of view but also from QoS point of view. The object paradigm and UML in particular can help reducing the network design complexity. In this paper, we propose a language formally defined and compliant with the object paradigm, intended to specify QoS in networked environments.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Object Management Group, Unified Modeling Language v1.5, formal/03-03-01 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Frølund, S., Koistinen, J.: QML: A Language for Quality of Service Specification. Hewlett-Packard Labs Technical Report (February 1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Aagendal, J.O.: Quality of Service Support in Development of Distributed Systems. PhD Thesis, Department of Informatics, University of Oslo (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Zinky, J.A., Baken, D.E., Schantz, R.E.: Architectural Support for Quality of Service for CORBA Objects. Theory and Practice of Objects Systems (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.OMG, Schedulability, Performance and Time Profile, formal/03 09 01 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.OMG, UML Profile for Modeling Quality of Service and Fault Tolerance Characteristics and Mechanisms, document ptc/04-06-01 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Mammeri, Z.: Towards a formal model for QoS specification and handling in Networks. In: IWQoS 2004, Montreal, Canada, June 7-9, pp. 148–152 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, Z., Crowcroft, J.: Quality of Service Routing for Supporting Multimedia Applications. IEEE JSAC 14(7), 1234–1288 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Grossman, D.: New Terminology and Clarifications for Diffserv. RFC 3260, IETF (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Donaldson, A.J.M., Turner, K.J.: Formal Specification of QoS properties. In: Proceedings of Workshop on Distributed Multimedia Applications and QoS Verification, CRIM, Montreal, Canada, June 1994, pp. 1–14 (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Teyssié, C., Mammeri, Z.: Integrating a Quality of Service Specification Language in UML. internal report, IRIT Lab, Toulouse (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Gu, X., Nahrstedt, K.: Visual Quality of Service Specification for Distributed Heterogeneous SystemsGoogle Scholar