Joint Buffer Management and Scheduling for Wireless Video Streaming
In this paper we revisit strategies for joint radio link buffer management and scheduling for wireless video streaming. Based on previous work , we search for an optimal combination of scheduler and drop strategy for different end–to–end streaming options. We will show that a performance gain vs. the two best drop strategies in , ie drop the HOL packet or drop the lowest priority packet starting from HOL, is possible: Provided that basic side-information on the video stream structure is available, a more sophisticated strategy removes packets from an HOL group of packets such that the temporal dependencies usually present in video streams are not violated. This advanced buffer management scheme yields significant improvements for almost all investigated scheduling algorithms and streaming options. In addition, we will demonstrate the importance of fairness among users when selecting a suitable scheduler.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Liebl, G., Jenkac, H., Stockhammer, T., Buchner, C.: Radio Link Buffer Management and Scheduling for Video Streaming over Wireless Shared Channels. In: Proc. Packet Video Workshop 2004, Irvine, CA, USA (December 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Girod, B., Kalman, M., Liang, Y.J., Zhang, R.: Advances in video channel–adaptive streaming. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Processing, Rochester(NY), USA (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Chou, P.A., Miao, Z.: Rate-distortion optimized streaming of packetized media (2001) (submitted), http://research.microsoft.com/pachou
- 4.Advanced Video Coding for Generic Audiovisual Services, ITU–T and ISO/IEC JTC 1 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Fattah, H., Leung, C.: An Overview of Scheduling Algorithms in Wireless Multimedia Networks. IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Kang, S.H., Zakhor, A.: Packet Scheduling Algorithm for Wireless Video Streaming. In: Proc. Packet Video Workshop 2002, Pittsburgh, USA (April 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Shakkottai, S., Stolyar, A.L.: Scheduling Algorithms for a Mixture of Real-Time and Non-Real-Time Data in HDR. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC-17), Salvador, Brazil (September 2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Tupelly, R.S., Zhang, J., Chong, E.K.: Opportunistic scheduling for streaming video in wireless networks. In: Proc. 37th Annual Conference on Information Science and Systems, Baltimore, MD, USA (March 2003)Google Scholar