Practical Template Attacks
Side-channel attacks pose a serious threat to implementations of cryptographic algorithms. In the pioneering article of Chari, Rao and Rohatgi, the general idea behind template attacks was introduced. Template attacks apply advanced statistical methods and can break implementations secure against other forms of side-channel attacks.
However, in our research it turned out that several details, which are essential to practical implementations of template attacks, still need to be answered. In this article we provide answers to open issues, such as how to select points of interest in an efficient way, or how to preprocess noisy data. In addition, we show the benefits of trial classifications and we point out that in practice so-called amplified template attacks have to be considered as a potential threat.
KeywordsSide-Channel Analysis Template Attack DPA DEMA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Ble98]Bleichenbacher, D.: Chosen Ciphertext Attacks Against Protocols Based on the RSA Encryption Standard PKCS #1. In: Krawczyk, H. (ed.) CRYPTO 1998. LNCS, vol. 1462, pp. 1–12. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar
- [BNSQ03]Bohy, L., Neve, M., Samyde, D., Quisquater, J.-J.: Principal and Independent Component Analysis for Crypto-systems with Hardware Unmasked Units. In: Proceedings of e-Smart 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- [BP85]Burrus, C.S.S., Parks, T.W.: DFT/FFT and Convolution Algorithms and Implementation. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1985)Google Scholar
- [BS99]Biham, E., Shamir, A.: Power Analysis of the Key Scheduling of the AES Candidates. In: Second Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) Candidate Conference, Rome, Italy (1999)Google Scholar
- [KJJ99]Kocher, P.C., Jaffe, J., Jun, B.: Differential Power Analysis. In: Wiener, M. (ed.) CRYPTO 1999. LNCS, vol. 1666, pp. 388–397. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- [Koc96]Kocher, P.C.: Timing Attacks on Implementations of Diffie-Hellman, RSA, DSS, and Other Systems. In: Koblitz, N. (ed.) CRYPTO 1996. LNCS, vol. 1109, pp. 104–113. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- [Sch96]Schneier, B.: Applied Cryptography, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1996)Google Scholar