LSTAFF: System Software for Large Block Flash Memory
Recently, flash memory is widely used in embedded applications since it has strong points: non-volatility, fast access speed, shock resistance, and low power consumption. However, due to its hardware characteristics, it requires a software layer called FTL (flash translation layer). We present a new FTL algorithm called LSTAFF (Large STAFF). LSTAFF is designed for large block flash memory. That is, LSTAFF is adjusted to flash memory with pages which are larger than operating system data sector sizes. We provide performance results based on our implementation of LSTAFF and previous FTL algorithms using a flash simulator.
KeywordsLarge Block Flash Memory United States Patent Block Mapping Logical Block
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ban, A.: Flash file system. United States Patent 5, 404–485 (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Microsoft Corporation. Fat32 file system specification. Technical report, Microsoft Corporation (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Samsung Electronics. Nand flash memory & smartmedia data book (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Estakhri, P., Iman, B.: Moving sequential sectors within a block of information in a flash memory mass storage architecture, United States Patent, 5,930,815 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, J., Kim, J.M., Noh, S.H., Min, S.L., Cho, Y.: A space-efficient flash translation layer for compactflash systems. IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics 48(2) (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Shinohara, T.: Flash memory card with block memory address arrangement. United States Patent, 5,905,993 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Kim, B.s., Lee, G.y.: Method of driving remapping in flash memory and flash memory architecture suitable therefore. United States Patent, 6,381,176 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Symbian (2003), http://www.symbian.com