Topology Generation for Web Communities Modeling
In this paper we present a model of Web communities which constitute a part of the Web structure. The proposed model is aimed at characterization of the topology behind the Web communities. It is inspired by small world graphs that show behaviors similar to many natural networks. We model Web communities as clusters of Web pages using graph grammars. Graph grammars allow us to simulate the structural properties of Web communities including their growth and evolution. An example of a grammar is presented. We discuss possibilities for utilization of the proposed model for research into Web communities, their properties and identification.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dill, S., Kumar, R., McCurley, K.S., Rajagopalan, S., Sivakumar, D., Tomkins, A.: Self-similarity in the Web 2, 205–223 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Flake, G., Lawrence, S., Lee Giles, C.: Efficient identification of Web communities. In: Sixth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Boston, MA, August 2000, pp. 150–160 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Gibson, D., Kleinberg, J.M., Raghavan, P.: Inferring Web communities from link topology. In: Proc. of the 9th ACM Conf. on Hypertext and Hypermedia, pp. 225–234 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Kumar, R., Raghavan, P., Rajagpalan, S., Tomkins, A.: Trawling the Web for emerging cyber-communities. In: Proc. of the 8th World Wide Web Conference, pp. 1481–1493 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Lindenmayer, A.: Mathematical models for cellular interaction in development 18, 280–315 (1968)Google Scholar
- 9.Markošová, M.: Language as a small world network. In: Kelemen, J., Kvasnička, V. (eds.) Proc. of Conf. on Cognition and Artificial LifeGoogle Scholar
- 10.Yolum, P., Singh, M.P.: Dynamic communities in referral networks. Web intelligence and agent systems 1, 105–116 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Newman, M.E.J.: Models of small world (a review). Physical Review Letters (May 2000); cond-mat/0001118Google Scholar
- 12.Newman, M.E.J., Girvan, M.: Finding and evaluating community structure in networks. Physical Review Letters (2004); cond-mat/026113Google Scholar
- 13.Page, L., Brin, S., Motwani, R., Winograd, T.: The Pagerank citation ranking: Bringing order to the Web. Standford Digital Libraries, Technologies Project (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Ravasz, E., Barabási, A.-L.: Hierarchical organization in complex networks. Physical Review Letters (September 2002); cond-mat/0206130Google Scholar
- 15.Watts, D.J.: Small Worlds: The Dynamics of Networks between Order and Randomness. Princeton University Press, Princeton (2003)Google Scholar