Adaptive FEC Control for Reliable High-Speed UDP-Based Media Transport
In this paper, we propose a reliable high-speed UDP-based media transport with an adaptive FEC (forward error correction) error control. The proposed adaptive transport scheme controls the amount of redundancy by monitoring the network so that it can effectively adapt to the fluctuations of underlying networks. The monitored feedbacks of the receiver enable the sender to aware of current reception status (i.e., rate/type of packet loss and delay change) and to estimate the expected network status. Based on this, the proposed media transport attempts to enable reliability by adaptively controlling the amount of both total sending rate and the FEC code ratio. Experiments with high-speed network have been conducted to verify the performance of the proposed transport that demonstrates the enhanced reliability at the speed of up to several hundred Mbps.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Padhyes, C., Christensen, K., Moreno, W.: A new adaptive FEC loss control algorithm for voice over IP applications. In: Proc. IEEE International Performance, Computing and Communication Conference (February 2000)Google Scholar
- 2.French, K., Claypool, M.: Repair of streaming multimedia with adaptive forward error correction. In: Proc. SPIE Multicast Multimedia Systems and Applications, part of ITCOM (August 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Katabi, D., Hardley, M., Rohrs, C.: Internet congestion control for future high bandiwdth-delay product environments. In: Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, Pittsburgh, PA (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Floyd, S.: High-speed TCP for large congestion windows. IETF RFC 3649 (December 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Tsunami (retrieved on 09/01/2004) http://www.anml.iu.edu/anmlresearch.html
- 6.Sivakumar, H., Grossman, R., Mazzucco, M., Pan, Y., Zhang, Q.: Simple available bandwidth utilization library for high-speed wide-area networks. J. Supercomput. (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Falk, A., Faber, T., Bannister, J., Chien, A., Grossman, R., Leigh, J.: Transport protocols for high performance. Communications of the ACM 46 (November 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Foster, I., Fidler, M., Roy, A., Sander, V., Winkler, L.: End-to-end quality of service for high-end applications. Computer Communications: Special Issues on Network Support for Grid Computing (2002)Google Scholar