Statistical Analysis of a P2P Query Graph Based on Degrees and Their Time-Evolution
Despite their crucial impact on the performances of p2p systems, very few is known on peers behaviors in such networks. We propose here a study of these behaviors in a running environment using a semi-centralised p2p system (eDonkey). To achieve this, we use a trace of the queries made to a large server managing up to fifty thousands peers simultaneously, and a few thousands queries per second. We analyse these data using complex network methods, and focus in particular on the degrees, their correlations, and their time-evolution. Results show a large variety of observed phenomena, including the variety of peers behaviors and heterogeneity of data queries, which should be taken into account when designing p2p systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adar, E., Huberman, B.A.: Free riding on gnutella. First Monday (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Albert, R., Barabási, A.-L.: Statistical mechanics of complex networks. Reviews of Modern Physics 74, 47 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Anderson, K.: Analysis of the traffic on the gnutella network (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Kermarrec, A.-M., Le Fessant, F., Handurukande, S., Massouli, L.: Clustering in peer-to-peer file sharing workloads (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Ross, K.W., Liang, J., Kumar, R.: Understanding kazaa (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Leibowitz, N., Bergman, A., Ben-Shaul, R., Shavit, A.: Are file swapping cacheable? characterizing p2p traffic. In: 7th International Worshop on Web Content Caching and Distribution (WCW 2003) (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Leibowitz, N., Ripeanu, M., Wierzbicki, A.: Deconstructing the kazaa network. In: 3rd IEEE Workshop on Internet Applications (WIAPP 2003) (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Markatos, E.P.: Tracing a large-scale peer to peer system: an hour in the life of gnutella. Technical Report 298 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Ripeanu, M., Foster, I., Iamnitchi, A.: Mapping the gnutella network: Properties of large-scale peer-to-peer systems and implications for system design (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Saroiu, S., Krishna Gummadi, P., Gribble, S.D.: A measurement study of peer-to-peer file sharing systems. In: Proceedings of Multimedia Computing and Networking 2002 (MMCN 2002), San Jose, CA, USA (January 2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Sen, S., Wang, J.: Analysing peer to peer traffic accross large networks. In: Internet Measurement Workshop (IMW 2002), Marseille, France (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Sripanidkulchai, K.: The popularity of gnutella queries and its implications on scaling (2001)Google Scholar