Color Image Vector Quantization Using Wavelet Transform and Enhanced Self-organizing Neural Network
This paper proposes a vector quantization using wavelet transform and enhanced SOM algorithm for color image compression. To improve the defects of SOM algorithm, we propose the enhanced self-organizing algorithm, which, at first, reflects the error between the winner node and the input vector in the weight adaptation by using the frequency of the winner node, and secondly, adjusts the weight in proportion to the present weight change and the previous weight one as well. To reduce the blocking effect and improve the resolution, we construct vectors by using wavelet transform and apply the enhanced SOM algorithm to them. The simulation results show that the proposed method energizes the compression ratio and decompression ratio.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rabbani, M., Jones, P.W.: Digital Image Compression Technique, pp. 144–169. Spie Optical Engineering Press (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.Godfrey, K.R.L., Attikiouzel, Y.: Self-Organized Color Image Quantization for Color Image Data Compression. Proc. of ICNN 3, 1622–1626 (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Oehler, K.L., Gray, R.M.: Combining Image Compression and Classification using Vector Quantization. IEEE Multimedia, 36–45 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, K.B., Cha, E.Y.: A Fuzzy Self-Organizing Vector Quantization For Image. Proc. of IIZUKA 2, 757–760 (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Strang, G., Nguyen, T.: Wavelets and Filter Banks. Wellesley-Cambridge Press (1996)Google Scholar