Using Self-organizing Map in a Computerized Decision Support System
Modern computerized decision support systems have developed to their current status during many decades. The variety of methodologies and application areas has increased during this development. In this paper neural method Self-Organizing Map (SOM) is combined with knowledge-based methodologies in a rule-based decision support system prototype. This system, which may be applied for instance in fault diagnosis, is based on an earlier study including compatibility analysis. A Matlab-based tool can be used for example in fault detection and identification. We show with an example how SOM analysis can help decision making in a computerized decision support system. An error state model made in Simulink programming environment is used to produce data for the analysis. Quantisation error between normal data and error data is one significant tool in the analysis. This kind of decision making is necessary for instance in state monitoring in control room of a safety critical process in industry.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Turban, E., Aronson, J.: Decision support systems and intelligent systems. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Marakas, G.: Decision support systems in the 21st century. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Kohonen, T.: The self-organizing map. Springler, Berlin (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Simula, O., et al.: The self-organizing map in industry analysis. In: Industrial applications of neural networks, CRC Press, Boca Raton (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Sirola, M.: Computerized decision support systems in failure and maintenance management of safety critical processes. VTT Publications 397. Espoo, Finland (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Sirola, M., Vesanto, J.: Utilization of neural methods in knowledge-based decision support systems - state monitoring as a case example. In: IASTED International Conference for Modelling, Identification and Control. Innsbruck, Austria (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Sirola, M., et al.: Neuro computing in knowledge-based decision support systems. EHPG-Meeting of OECD Halden Reactor Project. Sandefjord, Norway (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Vesanto, J., et al.: Technical report on SOM Toolbox 2.0. Espoo, Finland (2000)Google Scholar