Using Biased Support Vector Machine to Improve Retrieval Result in Image Retrieval with Self-organizing Map
The relevance feedback approach is a powerful technique in content-based image retrieval (CBIR) tasks. In past years, many intra-query learning techniques have been proposed to solve the relevance feedback problem. Among these techniques, Support Vector Machines (SVM) have shown promising results in the area. More specifically, in relevance feedback applications the SVMs are typically been used as binary classifiers with the balanced input data assumption. In other words, they do not consider the imbalanced dataset problem in relevance feedback, i.e., the non-relevant examples outnumbered the relevant examples. In this paper, we propose to apply our Biased Support Vector Machine (BSVM) to address this problem. Moreover, we apply our Self-Organizing Map-based inter-query technique to reorganize the feature vector space, in order to incorporate the information provided by past queries and improve the retrieval performance for future queries. The proposed combined scheme is evaluated against real world data with promising results demonstrating the effectiveness of our proposed approach.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chen, Y., Zhou, X., Huang, T.S.: One-class svm for learning in image retrieval. In: Proceedings of the IEEE international conference on Image Processing, pp. 34–37 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Rui, Y., Huang, T.S., Ortega, M., Mehrota, S.: Relevance feedback: A power tool for interactive content-based image retrieval. In: IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Video Technology, pp. 644–655 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Chan, C.H., Sia, K.C., King, I.: Utilizing inter and intra-query relevance feedback for content-based image retrieval. In: Special Session of Joint 13th International Conference on Artificial Neural Network and 10th International Conference on Neural Information Processing (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Oja, E., Kaski, S.: Kohonen Maps. Hardbound (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Hoi, C.H., Chan, C.H., Huang, K., Lyu, M.R., King, I.: Biased support vector machine for relevance feedback in image retrieval. In: Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, IJCNN 2004 (2004) (accepted)Google Scholar