Providing Automated Verification in HOL Using MDGs
While model checking suffers from the state space explosion problem, theorem proving is quite tedious and impractical for verifying complex designs. In this work, we present a verification framework in which we attempt to strike the balance between the expressiveness of theorem proving and the efficiency and automation of state exploration techniques. To this end, we propose to integrate a layer of checking algorithms based on Multiway Decision Graphs (MDG) in the HOL theorem prover. We deeply embedded the MDG underlying logic in HOL and implemented a platform that provides a set of algorithms allowing the user to develop his/her own state-exploration based application inside HOL. While the verification problem is specified in HOL, the proof is derived by tightly combining the MDG based computations and the theorem prover facilities. We have been able to implement and experiment with different state exploration techniques within HOL such as MDG reachability analysis, equivalence and model checking.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Chou, C.-T., Peled, D.: Verifying a Model-checking Algorithm. In: Margaria, T., Steffen, B. (eds.) TACAS 1996. LNCS, vol. 1055, pp. 241–257. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Fisler, K., Johnson, S.: Integrating Design and Verification Environments Through A Logic Supporting Hardware Diagrams. In: Proc. of IFIP Conference on Hardware Description and Their Applications, Chiba, Japan (August 1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Gordon, M.: Combining Deductive Theorem Proving with Symbolic State Enumeration. In: 21 Years of Hardware Formal Verification, Royal Society Workshop to mark 21 years of BCS FACS (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Joyce, J., Seger, C.: The HOL-Voss System: Model-Checking inside a General Purpose Theorem-Prover. In: Joyce, J.J., Seger, C.-J.H. (eds.) HUG 1993. LNCS, vol. 780, pp. 185–198. Springer, Heidelberg (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Mhamdi, T.: On the embedding of Multiway Decision Graphs in HOL. Master’s thesis, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Concordia University, Canada (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Mizouni, R.: Linking HOL Theorem Proving and MDG Model Checking. Master’s thesis, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Concordia University, Canada (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Owre, S., Rushby, J.M., Shankar, N.: PVS: A Prototype Verification System. In: Kapur, D. (ed.) CADE 1992. LNCS, vol. 607, pp. 748–752. Springer, Heidelberg (1992)Google Scholar
- 17.Pisini, V.: Integration of HOL and MDG for Hardware Verification. Master’s thesis, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Concordia University, Canada (2000)Google Scholar
- 18.Rajan, S., Shankar, N., Srivas, M.K.: An Integration of Model Checking with Automated Proof Checking. In: Wolper, P. (ed.) CAV 1995. LNCS, vol. 939, Springer, Heidelberg (1995)Google Scholar
- 20.Xu, Y.: Model Checking for a First-Order Temporal Logic Using Multiway Decision Graphs. PhD thesis, Computer Science Department, University of Montreal, Canada (1999)Google Scholar