A Model Theoretic Semantics for Ontology Versioning
We show that the Semantic Web needs a formal semantics for the various kinds of links between ontologies and other documents. We provide a model theoretic semantics that takes into account ontology extension and ontology versioning. Since the Web is the product of a diverse community, as opposed to a single agent, this semantics accommodates different viewpoints by having different entailment relations for different ontology perspectives. We discuss how this theory can be practically applied to RDF and OWL and provide a theorem that shows how to compute perspective-based entailment using existing logical reasoners. We illustrate these concepts using examples and conclude with a discussion of future work.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berners-Lee, T., Hendler, J., Lassila, O.: The Semantic Web. Scientific American (May 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Brachman, R.: What IS-A is and isn’t: An analysis of taxonomic links in semantic networks. IEEE Computer 16(10), 30–36 (1983)Google Scholar
- 4.Guarino, N.: Formal ontology and information systems. In: Proceedings of Formal Ontology and Information Systems, Trento, Italy, June 1998, IOS Press, Amsterdam (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Hayes, P.: RDF semantics. Proposed Recommendation (December 2003), http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/PR-rdf-schema-20031215/
- 6.Heflin, J.: Towards the Semantic Web: Knowledge Representation in a Dynamic, Distributed Environment. PhD thesis, University of Maryland (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Heflin, J., Hendler, J.: Dynamic ontologies on the Web. In: Proc. of the Seventeenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-2000), Menlo Park, CA, pp. 443–449. AAAI/MIT Press (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Klein, M., Fensel, D.: Ontology versioning for the semantic web. In: Proc. of the 1st Int’l Semantic Web Working Symposium (SWWS), pp. 75–91 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Noy, N., Musen, M.: PROMPTDIFF: A fixed-point algorithm for comparing ontology versions. In: Proc. of the Eighteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2002), Menlo Park, CA, AAAI/MIT Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Stuckenschmidt, H., Klein, M.: Integrity and change in modular ontologies. In: Proc. IJCAI 2003, Acapulco, Mexico (2003)Google Scholar