An Adaptive Cost Model for Distributed Query Optimization on the Grid
Distributed query processing is fast becoming a reality. With the new emerging applications such as the grid applications, distributed data processing becomes a complex undertaking due to the changes coming from both underlying networks and the requirements of grid-enabled databases. Clearly, without considering the network characteristics and the heterogeneity, the solution quality for distributed data processing may degrade. In this paper, we propose an adaptive cost-based query optimization to meet the requirements while taking network topology into consideration.
KeywordsGrid computing Beowulf clusters Distributed databases Distributed query optimization Cost model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dinquel, J.: Network Architectures for Cluster Computing. Technical Report 572, CECS, California State University (April 2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Foster, I., Kesselman, C.: The Grid: Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure. Morgan-Kaufman, San Francisco (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Gounaris, A., Paton, N.W., Sakellarion, R., Fernades, A.A.: Adaptive query processing and the grid: Opportunities and challenges. In: The 1st Int. Workshop on Grid and Peer-toPeer Computing Impacts on Large Scale Heterogeneous DDB. GLOBE 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, C.-H., Chen, M.-S.: Distributed query processing in the internet: Exploring relation replication and network characteristics. In: 21st IEEE Int. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Manegold, S., Boncz, P.A., Kersten, M.L.: Generic Database Cost Models for Hierarchical Memory Systems. Technical Report INS-R0203, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (March 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Ozsu, M.T., Valduriez, P.: Principles of Distributed Database Systems, 2nd edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Shahabi, C., Khan, L., McLeod, D., Shah, V.: Run-time optimizations of join queries for distributed databases over the internetGoogle Scholar
- 11.Smith, J., Gounaris, A., Watson, P., Paton, N.W., Fernandes, A.A.A., Sakellariou, R.: Distributed query processing on the grid. Int. Jour. of High Performance Computing applications (IJHPCA) 17(4) (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang, C.: The complexity of processing tree queries in distributed databases. In: Proc. 2nd IEEE Symp. Parallel and Distributed Processing, December 1990, pp. 604–611 (1990)Google Scholar