Cerebral Vessel Enhancement Using Rigid Registration in Three-Dimensional CT Angiography
In this paper, we propose a robust 3D rigid registration technique for detecting cerebral aneurysms, arterial stenosis, and other vascular anomalies in a brain CT angiography. Our method is composed of the following four steps. First, a set of feature points are selected using a 3D edge detection technique within skull base. Second, a locally weighted 3D distance map is constructed for leading our similarity measure to robust convergence on the maximum value. Third, the similarity measure between feature points is evaluated repeatedly by selective cross-correlation. Fourth, bone masking is performed for effectively removing bones. Experimental results show that the performance of our method is very promising compared to conventional methods in the aspects of its visual inspection and robustness. In particular, our method is well applied to vasculature anatomy of patients with an aneurysm in the region of the skull base.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Philip, M.W., Wardlaw, J.M., Easton, V.: Can Noninvasive Imaging Accurately Depict Intracranial Aneurysms? A Systematic Review. Radiology 217, 361–370 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Jayaraman, M.V., Mayo-Smith, W.W., Doberstein, C.E.: Intracanalicular Aneurysm of the Anterior Inferior Cerebellar Artery Revealed by Multi-Detector CT Angiography. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 24, 1338–1340 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Napel, S., Marks, M.P., Rubin, G.D., Dake, M.D., McDonnell, C.H., Song, S.M., Enzmann, D.R., Jeffrey, R.B.: CT Angiography with Spiral CT and Maximum Intensity Projection. Radiology 185, 607–610 (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Philipp, M.O., Kubin, K., Mang, T., Hormann, M., Metz, V.M.: Three-Dimensional Volume Rendering of Multidetector-Row CT Data: Applicable for Emergency Radiology. European Journal of Radiology, 1–6 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Jayakrishnan, V.K., White, P.M., Aitken, D., Crane, P., McMahon, A.D., Teasdale, E.M.: Subtraction Helical CT Angiography of Intra- and Extracranial Vessels: Technical Considerations and Preliminary Experience. AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 24, 451–455 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Yeung, M.M., Yeo, B.L., Liou, S.P., Banihashemi, A.: Three-Dimensional Image Registration for Spiral CT Angiography. Proc. of Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 423–429 (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Venema, H.W., Hulsmans, F.J.H., den Heeten, G.J.: CT Angiography of the Circle of Willis and Intracranial Internal Carotid Arteries: Maximum Intensity Projection with Matched Mask Bone Elimination – Feasibility Study. Radiology 218, 893–898 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Kwon, S.M., Kim, Y.S., Kim, T., Ra, J.B.: Novel Digital Subtraction CT Angiography based on 3D Registration and Refinement. Proc. of SPIE Medical Image: Image Processing (2004)Google Scholar