Arc_Mat, a Toolbox for Using ArcView Shape Files for Spatial Econometrics and Statistics
The ability to use statistical functionality for spatial modeling and analysis in conjunction with a mapping interface in the same environment has received a great deal of attention in the spatial analysis literature. We demonstrate the feasibility of extracting map polygon and database information from ESRI’s ArcView shape files for use in statistical software environments. Specifically, we show that information containing map polygons can be used in these environments to produce high quality mapping functionality. Improvements in recent computer graphics hardware and software allow basic plotting functionality that is part of statistical software environments to produce mapping functionality based on the high quality ArcView map polygons.
KeywordsGraphical User Interface Application Program Interface Spatial Weight Matrix Geographically Weight Regression Model Spatial Econometric
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anselin, L., Syabri, I., Smirnov, O.: Visualizing Multivariate Spatial Correlation with Dynamically Linked Windows. In: Anselin, L., Rey, S. (eds.) Proc. CSISS Workshop on New Tools for Spatial Data Analysis, Santa Barbara, CA, Center for Spatially Integrated Social Science (2002) CD-ROM (pdf file, 20 pp.)Google Scholar
- Heba, I., E. Malin, and C. Thomas-Agnan: Exploratory spatial data analysis with GEOXP. European Regional Science Association conference papers Google Scholar
- LeSage, J.P.: The Theory and Practice of Spatial Econometrics (1999) pdf file, 296 pp. available at http://www.spatial-econometrics.com
- LeSage, J.P.: A Family of Geographically Weighted Regression Models. In: Anselin, L., Florax, J.G.M., Rey, S.J. (eds.) Advances in Spatial Econometrics, Springer, Heidelberg (to appear)Google Scholar
- Pace, R. K.: Spatial Statistics Toolbox 2.0. (2002) pdf file, 36 pp. available at www.spatial-statistics.com.
- Pace, R.K., LeSage, J.P.: Spatial Autoregressive Local Estimation. In: Mur, J., Zoller, H., Getis, A. (eds.) Recent Advances in Spatial Econometrics, pp. 31–51. Palgrave Publishers (2004)Google Scholar