Parallelization of an Adaptive Vlasov Solver
This paper presents an efficient parallel implementation of a Vlasov solver. Our implementation is based on an adaptive numerical scheme of resolution. The underlying numerical method uses a dyadic mesh which is particularly well suited to manage data locality. We have developed an adapted data distribution pattern based on a division of the computational domain into regions and integrated a load balancing mechanism which periodically redefines regions to follow the evolution of the adaptive mesh. Experimental results show the good efficiency of our code and confirm the adequacy of our implementation choices. This work is a part of the CALVI project.
KeywordsComputational Domain Parallel Implementation Adaptive Mesh Vlasov Equation Load Balance Mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Birdshall, C.K., Langdon, A.B.: Plasmaphysics via computer simulation. McGraw-Hill, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 3.Campos-Pinto, M., Mehrenberger, M.: Adaptive numerical resolution of the Vlasov equation submitted in Numerical methods for hyperbolic and kinetic problemsGoogle Scholar
- 4.Filbet, F.: Numerical Methods for the Vlasov equation ENUMATH 2001 ProceedingsGoogle Scholar
- 5.Gutnic, M., Paun, I., Sonnendrücker, E.: Vlasov simulations on an adaptive phase-space grid to appear in Comput. Phys. Comm.Google Scholar
- 7.Patra, A., Oden, J.T.: Problem decomposition for adaptive hp finite element methods. Computing Systems in Eng. 6 (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Sonnendrücker, E., Filbet, F., Friedman, A., Oudet, E., Vay Vlasov, J.L.: Simulation of beams on a moving phase-space grid to appear in Comput. Phys. Comm.Google Scholar
- 10.Violard, E., Filbet, F.: Parallelization of a Vlasov Solver by Communication Overlapping. In: Proceedings PDPTA 2002 (2002)Google Scholar