Dynamic Routing Problems with Fruitful Regions: Models and Evolutionary Computation
We introduce the concept of fruitful regions in a dynamic routing context: regions that have a high potential of generating loads to be transported. The objective is to maximise the number of loads transported, while keeping to capacity and time constraints. Loads arrive while the problem is being solved, which makes it a real-time routing problem. The solver is a self-adaptive evolutionary algorithm that ensures feasible solutions at all times. We investigate under what conditions the exploration of fruitful regions improves the effectiveness of the evolutionary algorithm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Ghiani, G., Guerriero, F., Laporte, G., Musmanno, R.: Real-time vehicle routing: Solution concepts, algorithms and parallel computing strategies. Technical report, Center of Excellence for High Performance Computing, Univ. of Calabria, Italy (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.de Paepe, W.: Complexity Results and Competitive Analysis for Vehicle Routing Problems. PhD thesis, Research School for Operations Management and Logistics, Technical University of Eindhoven (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Laporte, G., Louveaux, F.: Formulations and bounds for the stochastic capacitated vehicle routing problem with uncertain supplies, pp. 443–455. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam (1990)Google Scholar
- 8.Bianchi, L.: Notes on dynamic vehicle routing — the state of the art. Technical report, IDSIA, Galleria 2, 6928 Manno-Lugano, Switzerland (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Psaraftis, H.: Dynamic vehicle routing problems. In: , ch. 11, pp. 223–248.Google Scholar
- 11.Powell, W.: A comparative review of alternative algorithms for the dynamic vehicle routing problem. In: , ch. 12, pp. 249–291.Google Scholar
- 13.Gendreau, M., Potvin, J.Y.: Dynamic vehicle routing and dispatching. In: Crainic, T., Laporte, G. (eds.) Fleet Management and Logistics, pp. 115–126. Kluwer, Boston (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Branke, J.: Evolutionary Optimization in Dynamic Environments. Genetic Algorithms and Evolutionary Computation, vol. 3. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Bräysy, O., Gendreau, M.: Vehicle routing problem with time windows, part II: Metaheuristics. Transportation Science (to appear)Google Scholar