A Scatter Search Algorithm for the 3D Image Registration Problem
Image registration has been a very active research area in the computer vision community. In the last few years, there is an increasing interest on the application of Evolutionary Computation in this field and several evolutionary approaches have been proposed obtaining promising results. In this contribution we introduce the use of an advanced evolutionary algorithm, Scatter Search, to solve the 3D image registration problem. The new proposal will be validated using two different shapes (both synthetic and MRI), considering three different transformations for each of them, and testing its performance with a Basic Memetic Algorithm and the classical, problem-specific ICP algorithm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Cordón, O., Damas, S., Bardinet, E.: 2D image registration with iterated local search. In: Benítez, J.M., Cordón, O., Hoffmann, F., Roy, R. (eds.) Advances in Soft Computing. Engineering Design and Manufacturing, pp. 233–242. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Glover, F.: A template for scatter search and path relinking. In: Selected Papers from the Third European Conference on Artificial Evolution, pp. 3–54 (October 1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Laguna, M., Martí, R.: Scatter Search: Methodology and Implementations in C. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Monga, O., Benayoun, S., Faugeras, O.D.: Using partial derivatives of 3D images to extract typical surface features. In: Proc. IEEE Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 92), Urbana Champaign, Illinois (USA), pp. 354–359 (1992)Google Scholar
- 11.Moscato, P.: On evolution, search, optimization, genetic algorithms and martial Arts: towards memetic algorithms, Technical Report, Caltech Concurrent Computation Program, C3P Report 826 (1989)Google Scholar