Query Recommendation Using Query Logs in Search Engines
In this paper we propose a method that, given a query submitted to a search engine, suggests a list of related queries. The related queries are based in previously issued queries, and can be issued by the user to the search engine to tune or redirect the search process. The method proposed is based on a query clustering process in which groups of semantically similar queries are identified. The clustering process uses the content of historical preferences of users registered in the query log of the search engine. The method not only discovers the related queries, but also ranks them according to a relevance criterion. Finally, we show with experiments over the query log of a search engine the effectiveness of the method.
KeywordsSearch Engine Association Rule Rank Score Query Expansion Document Cluster
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baeza-Yates, R.: Query usage mining in search engines. In: Scime, A. (ed.) Web Mining: Applications and Techniques. Idea Group, USA (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Baeza-Yates, R., Ribeiro-Neto, B.: Modern Information Retrieval, ch. 3, pp. 75–79. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Beeferman, D., Berger, A.: Agglomerative clustering of a search engine query log. In: KDD, Boston, MA USA, pp. 407–416 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Fonseca, B.M., Golgher, P.B., De Moura, E.S., Ziviani, N.: Using association rules to discovery search engines related queries. In: First Latin American Web Congress (LAWEB 2003), Santiago, Chile (November, 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Wen, J., Nie, J., Zhang, H.: Clustering user queries of a search engine. In: Proceedings at 10th International World Wide Web Conference, W3C, pp. 162–168 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Zaiane, O.R., Strilets, A.: Finding similar queries to satisfy searches based on query traces. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Efficient Web-Based Information Systems (EWIS), Montpellier, France (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhao, Y., Karypis, G.: Comparison of agglomerative and partitional document clustering algorithms. In: SIAM Workshop on Clustering High-dimensional Data and its Applications (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhao, Y., Karypis, G.: Criterion functions for document clustering. Technical report, University of Minnesota, MInneapolis, MN (2002)Google Scholar