On the Classification of UML’s Meta Model Extension Mechanism
Although the UML meta model extension mechanism has been used in many modeling fields in which extension of UML is needed, UML specification has little necessary classification and application guidance on the meta model extension mechanism. This paper defines four levels of UML’s meta model extension mechanism, and discusses the readability, expression capability, use scope and tool support on the basis of precise definitions of each level. The work on the paper reinforces the maneuverability of the UML meta model extension mechanism, and provides a reliable theoretical base for the development of modeling tools that support meta model extension.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.OMG Unifed Modeling Language Specification 1.3,1.4Google Scholar
- 2.UML 2.0 Infrastructure, 3rd Revision, OMG document ad/03-03-01. Object Management Group (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Kobryn, C.: UML 2001:A STANDARDIZATION ODYSSEY. Communication Of The ACM 42(10) (October 1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Schleicher, A., Westfechtel, B.: Beyond Stereotyping:Meta model ing Approaches for the UML. In: 34th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS-34)Google Scholar
- 5.Jézéquel, J.-M., Meyer, B.: Design by Contract: The Lessons of Ariane. Computer, 129–130 (January 1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Weyuker, E.J.: Testing Component-Based Software: A Cautionary Tale. IEEE Software, 54–59 (September 1998)Google Scholar