The Case for a Hybrid P2P Search Infrastructure
Popular P2P file-sharing systems like Gnutella and Kazaa use unstructured network designs. These networks typically adopt flooding-based search techniques to locate files. While flooding-based techniques are effective for locating highly replicated items, they are poorly suited for locating rare items. As an alternative, a wide variety of structured P2P networks such as distributed hash tables (DHTs) have been recently proposed. Structured networks can efficiently locate rare items, but they incur significantly higher overheads than unstructured P2P networks for popular files. Through extensive measurements of the Gnutella network from multiple vantage points, we argue for a hybrid search solution, where structured search techniques are used to index and locate rare items, and flooding techniques are used for locating highly replicated content. To illustrate, we present experimental results of a prototype implementation that runs at multiple sites on PlanetLab and participates live on the Gnutella network.
KeywordsLeaf Node Query Result Distribute Hash Table Popular Item Rare Item
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gnutella, http://gnutella.wego.com
- 2.Gnutella Proposals for Dynamic Querying, http://www9.limewire.com/developer/dynamic_query.html
- 3.Gnutella Ultrapeers, http://rfc-gnutella.sourceforge.net/Proposals/Ultrapeer/Ultrapeers.htm
- 4.Kazaa, http://www.kazza.com
- 5.Limewire.org, http://www.limewire.org/
- 6.PlanetLab, http://www.planet-lab.org/
- 7.Query Routing for the Gnutella Network, http://www.limewire.com/developer/query_routing/keyword_routing.htm/
- 8.Balakrishnan, H., Kaashoek, M.F., Karger, D., Morris, R., Stoica, I.: Looking Up Data in P2P Systems. Communications of the ACM 46(2) (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Chawathe, Y., Ratnasamy, S., Breslau, L., Lanham, N., Shenker, S.: Making Gnutella-like P2P Systems Scalable. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Gummadi, K.P., Dunn, R.J., Saroiu, S., Gribble, S.D., Levy, H.M., Zahorjan, J.: Measurement, Modeling and Analysis of a Peer-to-Peer File-Sharing Workload. In: Proceedings of the 19th ACM Symposium of Operating Systems Principles (SOSP-19), Bolton Landing, New York (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Huebsch, R., Hellerstein, J.M., Lanham, N., Loo, B.T., Shenker, S., Stoica, I.: Querying the Internet with PIER. In: Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB) (September 2003)Google Scholar