Data Migration on Parallel Disks
Our work is motivated by the problem of managing data on storage devices, typically a set of disks. Such storage servers are used as web servers or multimedia servers, for handling high demand for data. As the system is running, it needs to dynamically respond to changes in demand for different data items. There are known algorithms for mapping demand to a layout. When the demand changes, a new layout is computed. In this work we study the data migration problem, which arises when we need to quickly change one layout to another. This problem has been studied earlier when for each disk the new layout has been prescribed. However, to apply these algorithms effectively, we identify another problem that we refer to as the correspondence problem, whose solution has a significant impact on the solution for the data migration problem. We study algorithms for the data migration problem in more detail and identify variations of the basic algorithm that seem to improve performance in practice, even though some of the variations have poor worst case behavior.
KeywordsData Item Geometric Distribution Edge Coloring Data Migration Correspondence Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, E., Hall, J., Hartline, J., Hobbes, M., Karlin, A., Saia, J., Swaminathan, R., Wilkes, J.: An Experimental Study of Data Migration Algorithms. In: Workshop on Algorithm Engineering (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Chervenak, A.L.: Tertiary Storage: An Evaluation of New Applications. Ph.D. Thesis, UC Berkeley (1994) Google Scholar
- 4.Golubchik, L., Khanna, S., Khuller, S., Thurimella, R., Zhu, A.: Approximation Algorithms for Data Placement on Parallel Disks. In: Proc. of ACM-SIAM SODA (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Hall, J., Hartline, J., Karlin, A., Saia, J., Wilkes, J.: OnAlgorithms for Efficient Data Migration. In: Proc. of ACM-SIAM SODA, pp. 620–629 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Khuller, S., Kim, Y., Wan, Y.-C.: Algorithms for Data Migration with Cloning. In: 22nd ACM Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), pp. 27–36 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Wolf, J., Shachnai, H., Yu, P.: DASD Dancing:A Disk Load Balancing Optimization Scheme for Video-on-Demand Computer Systems. In: ACM SIGMETRICS/Performance Conf., pp. 157–166 (1995)Google Scholar