Faster Fixed-Parameter Tractable Algorithms for Matching and Packing Problems
We obtain faster algorithms for problems such as r-dimensional matching, r-set packing, graph packing, and graph edge packing when the size k of the solution is considered a parameter. We first establish a general framework for finding and exploiting small problem kernels (of size polynomial in k). Previously such a kernel was known only for triangle packing. This technique lets us combine, in a new and sophisticated way, Alon, Yuster and Zwick’s color-coding technique with dynamic programming on the structure of the kernel to obtain faster fixed-parameter algorithms for these problems. Our algorithms run in time O(n+2O(k)), an improvement over previous algorithms for some of these problems running in time O(n+kO(k)). The flexibility of our approach allows tuning of algorithms to obtain smaller constants in the exponent.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Coo71]Cook, S.A.: The complexity of theorem-proving procedures. In: Proceedings of the Third Annual Symposium on the Theory of Computing, pp. 151–158 (1971)Google Scholar
- [FKS82]Fredman, M.L., Komlós, J., Szemerédi, E.: Storing a sparse table with o(1) worst-case access time. In: Proceedings of the 23rd Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 165–169 (1982)Google Scholar
- [Kar72]Karp, R.M.: Reducibility among combinatorial problems. In: Miller, R.E., Thatcher, J.W. (eds.) Complexity of Computer Computations, pp. 85–103. Plenum Press, New York (1972)Google Scholar
- [Mar04]Marx, D.: Parameterized complexity of constraint satisfaction problems. In: Proceedings of the 19th Annual IEEE Conference on Computational Complexity (2004)Google Scholar
- [MPS04]Mathieson, L., Prieto, E., Shaw, P.: Packing edge disjoint triangles: a parameterized view. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Parameterized and Exact Computation (2004)Google Scholar
- [PS04]Prieto, E., Sloper, C.: Looking at the stars. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Parameterized and Exact Computation (2004)Google Scholar