Development of a Cooperative Integration System for AEC Design
The paper describes the experience and lessons learned in the development of a cooperative integration system for architecture design in 3D. The developed system is an online cooperative working system to support iterations of composition and decomposition of architecture design with different disciplines such as structural engineering, air conditioning, water and sewage, etc. The system has a 3D design editor which forms the major part of the collaborative 3D distributed virtual environment for online modification and visualization of the design, a project database and a communication tool for synchronous long distance online working meetings. A special geometry error checking module verifies the integrated design in 3D. The system has been evaluated by six life architecture design projects. The evaluation proved that the system is extremely useful and an excellent help for high quality and accuracy control of architecture design projects. The possibility of working in network conference is an advanced feature to facilitate the distance design team work.
KeywordsArchitecture Design Balearic Island Constructive Solid Geometry User Trial Network Conference
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Almeida, A., Belo, C.A.: Support for Multimedia Cooperative Sessions over Distrib-uted Environments. In: Proc. Mediacomm 1995, Society for Computer Simulation, Southamp-ton (April 1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Dias, J.M.S., Gamito, M.: Automatic Design Verification in Building Construction. In: ASCE Speciality Conference on Fully Integrated and Automated Project Processes, Blacksburg, Virginia, September 26-28 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Galli, R., Luo, Y.: Mu3D: A Causal Consistency Protocol for a Collaborative VRML Editor. In: Web3D - VRML2000, Proceedings of Fifth Symposium on the Virtual Re-ality Modeling Language, Monterey, California, U.S.A, February 2000. ACM Siggraph, pp. 53–62 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Galli, R.: Data Consistency Methods for Collaborative 3D Editing. PhD Thesis. University of Balearic Islands (November 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Luo, Y., Galli, R., Sanchez, D., Bennassar, A., Almeida, A.C., Dias, J.M.S.: A Coopera-tive Architecture Design System via Communication Network. In: ICCCBE-VIII, 8th Interna-tional Conference on Computer Aided Design, Building Construction and Civil Engineer-ing , Stanford University, EUA ( August 2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Luo, Y., et al.: Beta Release of M3D Application. Esprit Project No. 26287 (M3D) Deliverable 5.2.2 (March 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Luo, Y., Galli, R., Dias, M., Gamito, M., Fonseca, J.M., Silva, J.: Cooperative Integration of Architectural Design In 3D. In: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Computing in Civil and Building Engineering, Taipei, Taiwan, April 3-5, pp. 1093–1099 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Luo, Y., et al.: Visualization for Cooperative Architecture Design System. In: Proceed-ings of IEEE 2002 Conference on Information Visualization, London, July 2002, pp. 497–501 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Silva, J., et al.: Report on the user trial evaluation. Esprit Project No. 26287 (M3D) Deliverable 5.3 (March 2001)Google Scholar