An Active Functional Intensional Database
We introduce a new kind of functional database that unifies concepts from the realms of publish-subscribe middleware, pervasive computing, and intensional programming. The AFID (Active Functional Intensional Database) Project allows the distribution of both pervasive context and related, versioned content, and offers the means of effecting a client’s interaction with both. The AFID data model builds on existing infrastructure from the Intense project for the efficient manipulation and networked distribution of intensional context, adding the ability to encode multiple versions of any complex entity, where each version may vary in both content and structure, at any level of granularity. Further, the system ensures that clients may listen to structured, minimal changes in specific logical versions of encoded entities, as they occur, whenever any change is made to the total entity encoded in the database.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Buneman, P., Steedman, M.: Annotation – The new medium of communication. Grand Challenges for Computing Research (October 2002), http://www.nesc.ac.uk/esi/events/Grand_Challenges/panelb/b2.pdf
- 2.Faustini, A.A., Wadge, W.W.: Intensional programming. In: Boudreaux, J.C., Hamil, B.W., Jenigan, R. (eds.) The Role of Languages in Problem Solving 2, Elsevier North-Holland (1987)Google Scholar
- 4.Swoboda, P.: A Formalisation and Implementation of Distributed Intensional Programming. Ph.D. Thesis, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Swoboda, P., Wadge, W.W.: Vmake, ise and ircs: General tools for the intensionalization of software systems. In: Gergatsoulis, M., Rondogiannis, P. (eds.) Intensional Programming II, World-Scientific, Singapore (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Swoboda, P., Plaice, J.: A new approach to distributed context-aware computing. In: Ferscha, A., Hoertner, H., Kotsis, G. (eds.) Advances in Pervasive Computing, Austrian Computer Society (2004) ISBN 3-85403-176-9Google Scholar