2D Human Tracking by Efficient Model Fitting Using a Path Relinking Particle Filter
This paper presents a 2D model-based Path Relinking Particle Filter (PRPF) algorithm for human motion tracking and analysis applications. PRPF algorithm hybridizes both Particle Filter and Path Relinking frameworks. The proposed algorithm increases the performance of general Particle Filter by improving the quality of the estimate, by adapting computational load to problem constraints and by reducing the number of required evaluations of the weighting function. A 2D human body model was used to develop tracking with PRPF. This model consists of a simple hierarchical set of articulated limbs, which is described by geometrical parameters. It is easily adaptable to the tracking application requirements. We have applied the PRPF algorithm to 2D human pose estimation in different movement tracking activities such as walking and jumping. Qualitative experimental results show that the model-based PRPF is appropriate in 2D human pose estimation studies.
KeywordsParticle Filter Path Relinking Sampling Importance Resampling Particle Filter Algorithm Pose Estimation Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Gavrila, D.: The visual analysis of human movement: a review. CVIU 73 1 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.IBV: Biomechanics (1992), http://www.ibv.org/ingles/ibv/index2.html
- 6.Rohr, K.: Human movement analysis based on explicit motion models. In: Motion-based Recognition. ch. 8, pp. 171–198. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Ju, S., Black, M., Yaccob, Y.: Cardboard people: a parameterized model of articulated image motion. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 38–44 (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Zotkin, D., Duraiswami, R., Davis, L.: Joint Audio-Visual Tracking Using Particle Filters. EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing 11, 1154–1164 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Deutscher, J., Blake, A., Reid, I.: Articulated body motion capture by annealed particle filtering. In: IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 126–133 (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.MacCormick, J., Blake, A.: Partitioned sampling, articulated objects and interfacequality hand tracking. In: Proc European Conf. Computer Vision (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Pantrigo, J.J., Sánchez, A., Gianikellis, K., Duarte, A.: Path Relinking Particle Filter for Human Body Pose Estimation. Accepted paper to appear in LNCS (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Glover, F., Laguna, M., Martí, R.: Scatter Search and Path Relinking: Foundations and Advances Designs. To appear in New Optimization techniques in Engineering (2003)Google Scholar