Improvements on Ant Routing for Sensor Networks
Ad-hoc wireless sensor networks have been an active research topic for the last several years. Sensor networks are distinguished from traditional networks by characteristics such as deeply embedded routers, highly dynamic networks, resource-constrained nodes, and unreliable and asymmetric links. Ant routing has shown good performance for communication networks; in this paper, we show why the existing ant-routing algorithms do not work well for sensor networks. Three new ant-routing algorithms are proposed and performance evaluations for these algorithms on a real application are conducted on a routing simulator for sensor networks.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cerpa, A., Estrin, D.: Ascent: Adaptive self-configuring sensor networks topologies. In: Proc. IEEE InfoComm., New York (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Chu, M., Haussecker, H., Zhao, F.: Scalable information-driven sensor querying and routing for ad hoc heterogeneous sensor networks. Int. Journal on High Performance Computing Applications (JUne 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Subramanian, J.C.D., Druschel, P.: Ants and reinforcement learning: A case study in routing in dynamic networks. Technical report tr96-259, Rice University (July 1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Dorigo, M., Maniezzo, V., Colorni, A.: The ant system: Optimization by a colony of cooperating agents. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics - Part B 26(1), 1–13 (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Estrin, D., Govindan, R., Heidemann, J., Kumar, S.: Next century challenges: Scale coordinations in sensor networks. In: Proc. ACM MobiComm., Seattle, WA, August 17-19, pp. 263–270 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Karp, B., Kung, H.T.: GPSR: Greedy perimeter stateless routing for wireless networks. In: Proc. 6th Int’l Conf. on Mobile Computing and Networks (ACM Mobicom), Boston, MA (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Perkins, C.E., Royer, E.M.: Ad hoc on-demand distance vector routing. In: Proc. 2nd IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, February 1999, pp. 90–100 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Royer, E., Toh, C.: A review of current routing protocols for ad hoc mobile wireless networks. IEEE Personal Communications (April 1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Simon, G.: Probabilistic wireless network simulator, http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu/projects/nest/prowler/
- 12.Zhang, Y., Fromherz, M.: Message-initiated constraint-based routing for wireless ad-hoc sensor networks. In: Proc. IEEE Consumer Communication and Networking Conference (2004)Google Scholar