An Efficient Approach for Mining Periodic Sequential Access Patterns
Web usage mining discovers interesting and frequent user access patterns from web logs. Most of the previous works have focused on mining common sequential access patterns of web access events that occurred within the entire duration of all web access transactions. However, many useful sequential access patterns occur frequently only during a particular periodic time interval due to user browsing behaviors and habits. It is therefore important to mine periodic sequential access patterns with periodic time constraints. In this paper, we propose an efficient approach, known as TCS-mine (Temporal Conditional Sequence mining algorithm), for mining periodic sequential access patterns based on calendar-based periodic time constraints. The calendar-based periodic time constraints are used for describing real-life periodic time concepts such as the morning of every weekend. The mined periodic sequential access patterns can be used for temporal-based personalized web recommendations. The performance of the proposed TCS-mine algorithm is evaluated and compared with a modified version of WAP-mine for mining periodic sequential access patterns.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Agrawal, R., Srikant, R.: Mining Sequential Patterns. In: Proc. of the 11th Intl. Conf. on Data Engineering, Taipei, Taiwan (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou, B.Y., Hui, S.C., Fong, A.C.M.: CS-mine: An Efficient WAP-tree Mining for Web Access Patterns. In: Proc. of the 6th APWeb Conf., Hangzhou, China (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Ozden, B., Ramaswamy, S., Silberschatz, A.: Cyclic Association Rules. In: Proc. of the 14th Intl. Conf. on Data Engineering, pp. 412–421 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Ramaswamy, S., Mahajan, S., Silberschatz, A.: On the Discovery of Interesting Patterns in Association Rules. In: Proc. of the 24th Intl. Conf. on VLDB, New York, USA (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, Y., Ning, P., Wang, X.S., Jajodia, S.: Discovering Calendar-based Temporal Association Rules. In: Proc. of the 8th Intl. Symp. on Temporal Representation and Reasoning (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Cooley, R., Mobasher, B., Srivastava, J.: Data Preparation for Mining World Wide Web Browsing Patterns. Journal of Knowledge and Information Systems 1(1) (1999)Google Scholar